Periodoncia Salou Tarragona < Especialidades < Clínica Dental Salou Tarragona
Periodontics Salou Tarragona
Periodontal diseases are a group of diseases that affect the tissues that surround and support the teeth in the jawbone. They are diseases of an inflammatory nature and of an infectious nature (caused by bacteria) which, depending on their degree of affectation, we call gingivitis, when the inflammatory process only affects the gum and the tissues that hold the tooth are not affected.
When the inflammatory process affects the deep periodontal tissues, destruction of the bone and ligament that supports and holds the teeth occurs. This degree of involvement is known as periodontitis. If periodontitis is not treated, it evolves, destroying the entire support of the tooth and with it the lodging and loss of the tooth.
These inflammatory processes rarely involve severe pain, so many patients suffer from them without being aware of it.
The first signs and symptoms that appear in gingivitis are:
- Swelling / Inflammation of the gums
- Bleeding of the gums when brushing the teeth or spontaneously.
Early detection is very important in this type of disease, as at this stage, the lesions are completely reversible, unlike in more advanced stages of periodontal diseases, such as periodontitis. Therefore, regular visits to your specialist are essential to prevent irreversible sequelae and costly treatment.
When periodontal diseases have progressed to periodontitis, symptoms such as:
- Spontaneous bleeding gums
- Gum recession, feeling of longer teeth.
- Mobility of teeth.
- Spacing between teeth.
- Increased sensitivity of teeth, especially to cold.
- Burning sensation and sore gums.
- Abscesses and abscesses in the gums
This stage of the disease differs from gingivitis mainly because of the resorption or irreversible loss of the bone that supports the teeth. In these cases, controlling the progression of the disease will be our priority objective, thus maintaining our patients' teeth for as long as possible.
Patients are increasingly concerned about the presence of localised or generalised gingival recession. The absence of attached gingiva is defined as a mucogingival defect.
On the other hand, gingival recession is the exposure of the root surface due to apical migration of the gingival margin. These situations can lead to hypersensitivity problems, root caries and aesthetic problems.
The main causes are:
- Trauma after vigorous brushing
- Tooth malposition
- Inadequate oral hygiene
- Orthodontic movements
- Brake traction
- Periodontal disease
In the presence of recessions, there are two possibilities:
- Do not treat it and monitor its evolution.
- Correct them through the practice of mucogingival surgery techniques. These techniques include preventive soft tissue grafts that aim to increase the width of the keratinised gingiva or root coverage techniques.
If you have situations like these, let our specialists advise you on what is the best option for you. Each patient is unique to us, and will therefore require a personalised case study.
In certain situations where the supporting bone of the teeth has been lost, mainly due to periodontal diseases, interventions can be performed in order to recover or regenerate the lost tissue.
This group of techniques is called periodontal regeneration techniques.
More information at
- Our treatment section -> Specialities
- Our Youtube Channel -> Yotube Channel Clinica Dental Salou Tarragona
- Our Blog articles -> Clínica Dental Moreno-Montalvo Blog
Request your Visit and smile again